[Opensim-dev] so many dll's, so little time

Michael Wright michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 18 09:16:11 UTC 2007

With Axiom, we only use the math library, so I think we only need to include the source for that library (which is a small library). Of course this don't help with the ODE problem/size.

dan miller <danbmil99 at yahoo.com> wrote: this looks like exactly the right approach.  Keep in mind that ODE is 40
megabyes, so we're talking about 80 megs right there (40 for the vendor
drop, 40 more for trunk).

Take Axiom.  It uncompresses to almost _400_ megabytes!  Granted most of
that is some demo game with assets, but that's what they have in their
source drop.  It doesn't seem feasible for everyone to have two copies of
that in their trunk directories!  At this rate, with over 20 3rd party libs,
svn checkouts will soon be several gigabytes.

I think the answer is to use the vendor drop concept, but in a separate
project, opensim-libs.  We can simplify the procedure in the case where we
don't patch anything, by just using the vendor's drop directly.  If we need
to patch, we do as the article says and create a separate, patched version,
and merge whenever we need to absorb a new vendor release.

The final step after building everything would be to create a .zip file with
just the DLL's necessary to run opensim (a couple megabyes).  Casual users
would just download the proper zip file and be ready to get on with their
lives.

-danx0r