[Opensim-dev] so many dll's, so little time

dan miller danbmil99 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 17 18:18:07 UTC 2007

The major issue for me is that we are in some cases apparently depending on
binary code without access to the correct source versions.  This could
become quite an exercise in forensic compilation if we don't sort it out
now.

What I plan to do is try to acquire the source code versions that we believe
most closely match the DLL's we have in subversion, and get them all into
trunk/libraries.  Then we can compile them and test them against the
codebase, and work through any issues until we have the ability to compile
and run opensim 100% from source code.  I'm not advocating we force all
developers to deal with this; just a few of us core ppl to get it straight,
then we provide manna from heaven to the rest in the form of precompiled
binaries.  Eventually, all the C# code should be easily incorporated into
nant/prebuild (right?).  The native libs will always be a bit trickier, but
the same approach should work -- collect the code, keep it in
trunk/libraries, and provide a mechanism for casual users to get binaries
appropriate to their platform.

-danx0r

-danx0r