[Opensim-dev] users and agents table, and other oddities?

Tleiades tleiades at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 14 07:30:39 UTC 2007

Hi

I am a little mystified about the users table and the agents table.

I am afraid this boils down to definitions of:

What is a user?, What is an agent? and what is an avatar?, well mostly the
difference between a user and an agent.

In the SQLite implementation both tables are maintained, in the MySQL
implementation, only the user table is maintained.

According to the defintions of user vs agent in UserProfileData.cs the UUID
of UserAgentData is not the same as the UUID of UserProfileData, but if this
is so, how do you relate an agent to a user? the SQLite implementation,
violates the comment made in the cs code, and assigns the same value to both
UUID of agents and users.

<rant>
who on earth, has decided that the datatype (UUID) is a propper name for a
column in a database or a property on a class? UserID of type UUID, and
AgentID of type UUID would be more fitting, or perhaps just ID of type UUID
(depending on temperament)
</rant>

So I guess my primary question regarding agents and users is?
What is the difference? and do we need to distinguish between the two?

now on to regions..
First some definitions.
a regionhandle, identifies a region based on it's x,y position in the grid,
which is combined into one integer value.
a regionid, identifies a region based on a UUID.

Regions have the regionid as the primary key, in both SQLite and MySQL. In
the agents table we store both the handle and the id , in the users table we
store the handle but not the id.

This gives rise to the question.. "Is the users home" tied to the handle or
the id. What is really the primary id of a region, the handle or the id?

/tleiades