[Opensim-dev] build issues wrt native libs (redux)

Tleiades tleiades at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 6 21:03:01 UTC 2007

Hi

I think it would be great if we could find a strategy for handling external
libs, I don't have any preferences if this is a separate project called
OpenSim-libs, or a project integrated into OpenSim. I you feel that Scons is
the tool of choice, then by all means use it.

My only concern is that OpenSim should compile under windows, and support
for x64 would be even better. I am one of the people who are weary of
Cygwin. In my book, Cygwin is an operating system I install on top of
windows, if I wanted to use a Unix like operating system, I would have
chosen Linux as my primary operating system, and not a quasi operating
system, installed on top of windows.

I am sorry if this rattles some Linux people, it is not my intention, not by
a long shot. I think that Linux is a great operating system; hey some of my
machines do run Linux, but windows is good at some things, and Linux is good
at other things, there is even some areas of overlap, where the two OS'es
are equaly good. I feel it is important that we support both, preferably Mac
as well.

Support to me, means support for the *native* environment, i.e. we should
not require wine for linux or cygwin for windows. In other words:

We support Linux, period, (maybe we have to consider what distro's we
support)
We support Windows, period. (maybe we have to consider what versions we
support)

/Tleiades