[Opensim-dev] server consoles

Charles Krinke cfk at pacbell.net
Thu Oct 4 22:25:56 UTC 2007

I guess I need to weigh in on this as one of the grid-guys actually running a public grid and having to deal with these 3 servers each and every day.

First, I run the UserServer, GridServer and AssetServer using screen and 3 different bash screens, which works just fine.

Having some additional UserServer commands other then 'shutdown" would be helpful. Things such as 'alert' (to send a message to all regions on a grid', 'show users' to show current users by region or on a grid (perhaps) and the total number of users at the moment.

Having some additional GridServer commands would be helpful. Things such as 'show regions' to show which regions the GridServer believes are up which may be different then the regions database, and the total number of regions that are up.

Having some additional AssetServer commands would be helpful. Things such as being able to query the total number and types of objects in the database, response time to load a texure or asset. Number loaded in last 1 hour or 24 hours.

I understand there may be some unique Windows requirements as the screen command may not be available, and defer to such notions. But at this point, just some additional functionality heading towards storing of assets would be a good place to head towards, in my opinion.

Charles