[Opensim-dev] Incompatibilities between libsl 0.2 and 0.3

Tleiades Hax tleiades at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 07:01:09 UTC 2007

Hi

I am trying to do the changes required in opensim in order to be
compatible with libsl 0.3.

One of the nastier changes they have done is that "TickCount" in the
Packet class is marked "internal", which means that opensim cannot
reference that property. TickCount is used in
ClientView.PacketQueue.cs to help manage packet acks.

<philosophy>
I think the basic problem stems from the fact that the primary
thinking in the libsl team is "replacement viewer" which means that
packets and comms are focused on the client side, and opensim is
thinking "replacement grid/region", which means that packets and comms
are focused on the server side.
</philosophy>

The short story is, what should/could have been a simple exercise,
suddenly has turned nasty, I see to ways forward:
1) change libsl, and talk with the libsl team to *not" mark TickCount
as internal,
2) change opensim, this will require a change in the packet shipping
code of OS, which will take some time - at least for me - since I am
not familiar with that part of os.

suggestions on how to progress, are welcome.

/tleiades