[Opensim-dev] Revising the grid standards (Part I - Principles)

Adam Frisby adam at gwala.net
Wed Nov 7 19:57:03 UTC 2007

> But my solid feeling is that if we are to do something "open" - we
> should look to eventually get away from the centralized UGA as an
> obligatory option to run something beyond the "private sim" - they do
> not scale, and are a single point of failure.

My opinion here is that whatever we do, everything should be changed
from fixed identifiers to URLs. Even if it's just prefixing a server URL
before the fixed identifier, eg:
	http://asset.server.com/assets/<uuid>
or
	http://user.server.com/users/<uuid>

I'd like to get the ball rolling on some reasonably hard standards as
soon as humanely possible - thankfully by design we can build a
reasonably functional prototype quite quickly.

I think the consensus these days appears to be we use HTTP/REST for
pretty much everything, and use SSL/TLS plus HTTP authentication for
handling security and authentication. cHTTP seems to be something that
we can use for this for handling of only-once messages - although I'd
like to avoid that class of messages where possible.

Regards,

Adam