[Opensim-dev] Revising the grid standards (Part II - Implementation details)

Michael Wright michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 2 20:47:57 UTC 2007

Yeah finding c# jabber/xmpp servers is a problem. There is one (that doesn't look that complete) but its in c#' 3.0 so not really usable by us at the moment. There are some c# xmpp client libraries (not completely sure the licenses) so I guess its most likely a case of writing our own servers from them. Or taking a java server and porting, which maybe the easiest thing.

But, I think after reading mic's reply that we should drop the idea of using XMPP for grid/user, as I think we need to listen to someone who has had experience of using it. So we should just use it for IM's , as has been the plan since very early in this project.

Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote: On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 07:43:54PM +0000, Michael Wright wrote:
> When I first mentioned XMPP it was just a throw out idea. But thinking
> and looking into it some more I actually think its got some plus
> points. But I don't think we should think about it for Assets (which I
> think REST is the correct thing for) and maybe not even inventory. I
> was thinking more User server and grid server.

My brain is starting to wrap on this a bit more, and treating Regions
and Users as just things with presence via XMPP actually seems pretty
interesting.

Could you sketch out a bit more the way you think that would work?

> I really don't think using REST because thats what LL use makes any
> difference as when they release specs we are going to have to have new
> implementation anyway. Please remember not everyone is interested in
> connecting to LL grid, so I think no matter what happens it most
> likely will be, that we end up with at least two implementations; our
> own and one compatible with their grid.

Agreed, and understood.

> I think XMPP most likely will end up as easiest and fastest to
> implement and it includes a number of things that we wouldn't need to
> spend time on. But when it comes down to it, I'm not fixed on the idea
> enough to fight strongly for it. So if the general opinion is for REST
> for all. Then I'd go with that without a problem. As long as we are
> going with it for the right reasons and not the compatible reason.

Presumably, regardless of how much XMPP will be in OpenSim (i.e. just
messaging or messaging + much more) we'll need XMPP client / server
classes in OpenSim anyway.  So work in getting that into tree and
functional would be good regardless.

Fwiw, XMPP did come up at last office hours re: IM, and steffan said
something about there not being nicely licensed library/server for C#.
It would be good to make sure we had that before getting on the XMPP
bandwagon.

 -Sean