[Opensim-dev] to branch or to break?

Michael Wright michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 1 12:04:39 UTC 2007

As some people know there has been some talk on what needs done for decent Communications. And also the partly related work on dynamically creating and removing regions at runtime.

Trying to just make some changes to fix some problems with creating new regions (at other times than startup) is showing how hard it is to do much without the risk of breaking other things, like grid mode. And I think removing regions will be even worse as we don't have any way in place to tell the grid servers that a region has been removed. Two related things here are I most likely don't have the time to get all my changes working in grid mode straight away, so would like to be able to test them in standalone mode first.

Also I am really not in favour of doing much work on the current grid mode code without at least some plan of how we want to take it forward. I think most of us are in agreement that the current protocol needs redesigning or at least big changes.

Just trying to decouple some of these things is proving very hard. So I'm starting to think we are in a situation like we were with the move from 0.2 - 0.3. Where we need to either say that trunk may have some things broke in it for a while or we create a branch. Last time we went with a branch but think we all felt that we should have went with breaking trunk and creating a "stable" branch.

So I think we need to decide, then we can get on with the talk about what actually needs done and how.