Chat log from the meeting on 2014-12-30

From OpenSimulator

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
m
 
Line 1: Line 1:
<pre style="white-space: pre-wrap;
+
<pre>
white-space: -moz-pre-wrap;
+
white-space: -pre-wrap;
+
white-space: -o-pre-wrap;
+
word-wrap: break-word">
+
 
[10:59]  Mic Bowman: is diva planning to be here today?
 
[10:59]  Mic Bowman: is diva planning to be here today?
 
[10:59]  Seth.Nygard @refugegrid.com:8002: Hello everyone
 
[10:59]  Seth.Nygard @refugegrid.com:8002: Hello everyone
Line 496: Line 492:
 
[11:59]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: ++
 
[11:59]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: ++
 
</pre>
 
</pre>
 +
 +
 +
 +
[[Category:Office Hour Logs]]

Latest revision as of 14:42, 25 October 2015

[10:59]  Mic Bowman: is diva planning to be here today?
[10:59]  Seth.Nygard @refugegrid.com:8002: Hello everyone
[10:59]  Nebadon Izumi: doubt it Mic
[11:00]  Shez.Oyen @mirage.duckdns.org:9038: Hi Seth :)
[11:00]  Nebadon Izumi: i could try to ping her
[11:00]  Mic Bowman: it would be good to hear about the changes for mono
[11:00]  Mic Bowman: not necessary
[11:00]  Mic Bowman: i'll find out from her later... i think i know the changes my modules need to make
[11:00]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: hehe...this will be fun.....more than half of you show as "loading..." for me
[11:00]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: I think she hasn't commit her work yet?
[11:00]  Robert.Adams @home.livingroomcam.us:14559: if you have a module, time to freshen it up is here
[11:00]  Robert.Adams @home.livingroomcam.us:14559: I'm totally loaded for everyone
[11:01]  Nebadon Izumi: well I pinged Diva
[11:01]  Nebadon Izumi: no response yet
[11:01]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: [11:00] Loading...: I'm totally loaded for everyone <-- like that
[11:01]  Nebadon Izumi: she may show up if she sees it
[11:01]  Mic Bowman: would just like to start migrating my modules
[11:01]  Nebadon Izumi: she responded
[11:01]  Nebadon Izumi: she will probably be here shortly
[11:01]  Mic Bowman: and having a better sense of the layout she has in mind would help
[11:02]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: hi
[11:02]  Mic Bowman: hi crista!
[11:02]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: Helo
[11:02]  Nebadon Izumi: hello
[11:02]  Seth.Nygard @refugegrid.com:8002: Hello
[11:02]  Richardus.Raymaker @hypergrid.org:8002: hi all
[11:02]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: ah ha....suddenly you all just de-loading-ed for me
[11:02]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: is this over voice?
[11:02]  Nebadon Izumi: voice is enabled
[11:02]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: I mean the meeting
[11:02]  Nebadon Izumi: but we usually do chat
[11:02]  Mic Bowman: ok... why are name labels red on the left side of the hall and yellow on the other?
[11:02]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: ok
[11:02]  Marcus.Llewellyn @grid.verymad.net:8002: Text has traditionally been prefered.
[11:02]  Nebadon Izumi: so it can be preserved in logs
[11:03]  Nebadon Izumi: i am logging in my radegast viewers to keynotes
[11:03]  Nebadon Izumi: so bit disttracted for a few more minutes here
[11:04]  Shez.Oyen @mirage.duckdns.org:9038: wow, they are diff colors on left and right
[11:04]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: Dahlia will probably be a few minutes. She would probably want to hear about the module changes.
[11:04]  Nebadon Izumi: Justin are you going to fire up the Avacon bots?
[11:04]  Marcus.Llewellyn @grid.verymad.net:8002: I don't see different name tag colors.
[11:04]  Justin Clark-Casey: mic: I am seeing console messages "Could not find packet with sequence number <n> to ack"
[11:04]  Shez.Oyen @mirage.duckdns.org:9038: I would have prob never noticed that
[11:04]  Mic Bowman: justin: good
[11:05]  Mic Bowman: that means that some of the acks are late coming in
[11:05]  Mic Bowman: how many do you see?
[11:05]  Richardus.Raymaker @hypergrid.org:8002: Just like RL :)
[11:05]  Mic Bowman: and whats show queues look like
[11:05]  Mic Bowman: for resent packets
[11:05]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: while waiting then....I have a question re HG 1.,5 vs 2.0.....does 1.5 expose the (home) server to attacks or only the person travelling?
[11:05]  Justin Clark-Casey: on here, I'm seeing about 40. It's a pity they're not identified to the user
[11:06]  Justin Clark-Casey: 122 2420 6128 561 1884 0 0 0 0 3 0 0

Region (Staff Zone 1) # show throt
User Region Type Max Target Actual Resend Land Wind Cloud Task Texture Asset
 kb/s kb/s kb/s kb/s kb/s kb/s kb/s kb/s kb/s kb/s

Marcus.Llewellyn @ Staff Zone 1 Rt 1000 1152 1000 100 95 19 19 314 314 137
Nebadon Izumi Staff Zone 1 Rt 1000 4608 1000 100 68 13 13 339 339 124
Billy.Bradshaw @hg Staff Zone 1 Rt 1000 768 768 76 87 17 17 228 228 112
Mic Bowman Staff Zone 1 Rt 1000 2304 1000 100 77 15 15 331 331 128
Robert.Adams @home Staff Zone 1 Rt 1000 1459 1000 100 88 17 17 321 321 134
BlueWall.Slade @ga Staff Zone 1 Rt 1000 1152 1000 100 95 19 19 314 314 137
Shez.Oyen @mirage. Staff Zone 1 Rt 1000 3072 1000 100 73 14 14 335 335 126
Aine.Caoimhe @refu Staff Zone 1 Rt 1000 768 768 76 87 17 17 228 228 112
Justin Clark-Casey Staff Zone 1 Rt 1000 5120 1000 100 68 13 13 340 340 124
Seth.Nygard @refug Staff Zone 1 Rt 1000 1536 1000 100 86 17 17 322 322 133
Richardus.Raymaker Staff Zone 1 Rt 1000 2304 1000 100 77 15 15 331 
[11:06]  Justin Clark-Casey: Region (Staff Zone 1) # show q
User Region Type Since Pkts Pkts Pkts Bytes Q Pkts Q Pkts Q Pkts Q Pkts Q Pkts Q Pkts Q Pkts
 Last In In Out Resent Unacked Resend Land Wind Cloud Task Texture Asset
Marcus.Llewellyn @ Staff Zone 1 Rt 107 8561 7206 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Nebadon Izumi Staff Zone 1 Rt 53 9049 6970 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Billy.Bradshaw @hg Staff Zone 1 Rt 41 8786 11157 9 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Mic Bowman Staff Zone 1 Rt 162 7401 6914 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Robert.Adams @home Staff Zone 1 Rt 12 8200 8769 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
BlueWall.Slade @ga Staff Zone 1 Rt 166 4547 7630 382 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Shez.Oyen @mirage. Staff Zone 1 Rt 37 7241 6801 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Aine.Caoimhe @refu Staff Zone 1 Rt 14 6667 9498 21 -5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Justin Clark-Casey Staff Zone 1 Rt 57 6299 6504 23 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Seth.Nygard @refug Staff Zone 1 Rt 69 5317 7627 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Richardus.Raymaker Staff Zone 1 Rt 111 3870 4787 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Crista.Lopes @nile Staff Zone 1 Rt 2817 1529 5289 10 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Kayaker.Mag
[11:06]  Justin Clark-Casey: @nile Staff Zone 1 Rt 1000 3072 1000 100 73 14 14 335 335 126
Kayaker.Magic @gri Staff Zone 1 Rt 1000 256 256 11 16 11 11 25 25 15
[11:06]  Justin Clark-Casey: not sure how helpful that is....
[11:06]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: ie if some malicious person wanted to do something to a grid running 1.5, would they have an easier time doing so than they would with 2.0?
[11:06]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: yes
[11:07]  Mic Bowman: ok... that looks like a few packets being lost
[11:07]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: but the differences affect mostly the inventory data
[11:07]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: something that affects the entire grid or only the person traveling ?
[11:07]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: the entire inventory data of the grid
[11:07]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: drat
[11:07]  Billy.Bradshaw @hg.viewtwo.net:8600: Quick query before throttle testing discussed. OpenMetaverse.dll updated in core around 25th Dec, but cannot see a corresponding update to libopenmetaverse
[11:08]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: there wsn't a release of libomv, just several commits
[11:08]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: current libomv in opensim core corresponds to master head of libomv in github
[11:09]  Billy.Bradshaw @hg.viewtwo.net:8600: k
[11:09]  Justin Clark-Casey: this is where it's helpful to have the libomv commit level in the commit message
[11:10]  Mic Bowman: justin: can you post show queues and show throttles into the IM
[11:11]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: show queues > mic bowmanim
[11:12]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: :)
[11:12]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: If we could use bash for the console
[11:12]  Mic Bowman: would be nice
[11:12]  Mic Bowman: i think i need to keep working to figure out the stats collectors
[11:13]  Mic Bowman: (all three of them)
[11:13]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: would it make sense to consolidate them int o the monitoring module?
[11:13]  Robert.Adams @home.livingroomcam.us:14559: I'm for StatsManager.... it has a web interface as well as console interface
[11:13]  Justin Clark-Casey: the monitoring module is old.
[11:14]  Justin Clark-Casey: it would make sense to cnosolidate everything. The only reason it hasn't been done is lack of time
[11:14]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: ++
[11:14]  Robert.Adams @home.livingroomcam.us:14559: a monitoring app can query for just the stats it wants
[11:14]  Mic Bowman: justin/nebadon: looks like everyone is getting their requested throttles right now given that there are per-client limits in place
[11:14]  Mic Bowman: client limits are 1mbps
[11:14]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: I like the idea of using a rrdb to store the data for generic use
[11:14]  Justin Clark-Casey: mic: apart from kayaker. Throttle keeps changing there because of non-acked packets
[11:14]  Richardus.Raymaker @hypergrid.org:8002: stats in json fdormat, if its not the same we already ahve
[11:15]  Mic Bowman: they should change
[11:15]  Mic Bowman: but should generally stay around 1mbps
[11:15]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: The dotnet lib for that has a funky license though.
[11:15]  Nebadon Izumi: ok 60 clients logged in
[11:15]  Mic Bowman: which is what it looks like
[11:15]  Nebadon Izumi: actually i must say, compared to the OSCC load testing
[11:15]  Nebadon Izumi: my clients had a much easier time logging in
[11:15]  Nebadon Izumi: already feels like improvement to me
[11:15]  Robert.Adams @home.livingroomcam.us:14559: StatsManager will return web queries in JSON (and optionally callback form)
[11:16]  Mic Bowman: there is one more thing i want to add... a "grace period"
[11:16]  Justin Clark-Casey: right, I'm just saying that kayaker is not getting requested for that reason
[11:16]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: snmp FTW :)
[11:16]  Mic Bowman: justin: kayaker looks to have target at 256kbps
[11:16]  Robert.Adams @home.livingroomcam.us:14559: http://www.virtualportland.org/SimStats/ is a simple stats display for my standalone region
[11:16]  Robert.Adams @home.livingroomcam.us:14559: when I was running DSG, it included graphs of the bandwidth between the servers
[11:17]  Mic Bowman: that is a viewer throttle i would guess
[11:17]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: nice Robert
[11:17]  Nebadon Izumi: ya very nice
[11:17]  Robert.Adams @home.livingroomcam.us:14559: SimStats does a GET query to get the stats and gets JSON back which the JS tableifies
[11:18]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: is there any possible mechanism that can be used to "rebake" attachments (yes, I know they aren't baked in the first place, but what I mean is to have the ability to ask the sim to re-send your attachments) that isn't going to involve a viewer change? I've found increasingly that since every new HG tp times out and requires a second or even third attempt, some or all of me doesn't display correctly to pre-existing people in the region I tp to. They only see me complete when they relog (me relogging and returning doesn't trigger the update in their viewer)
[11:18]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: BlueWall, IIRC, I would second rrdb format for stats. There are some nice tools to turn that data in to a chart.
[11:18]  Richardus.Raymaker @hypergrid.org:8002: rewear is in SL the normal way. or change outfit and then back
[11:18]  Robert.Adams @home.livingroomcam.us:14559: there is a console command to force resending, isn't there?
[11:18]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: cam
[11:18]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: I updated thsi old stats app a few days ago : http://gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8000/~jamesh/simstats.html
[11:19]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: can't do that with HG2.0 without having everything in suitcase
[11:19]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: That suitcase is your firewal.
[11:19]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: the console command only resends scene (region) objects, not attachments
[11:19]  Seth.Nygard @refugegrid.com:8002: And also a console command is of no use to the many people that have their regions hosted for them.
[11:20]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: what's the problem with attachments?
[11:21]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: if you are wearing anything that takes more than 15 seconds to be sent from your source region to your destination region the tp times out and then 90% of the time on re-tp they don't appear for people who were already in the region at the time of the initial failed attempt
[11:21]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: (15 seconds total for the entire tp process to finish)
[11:21]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: or might be 20
[11:22]  Nebadon Izumi: ya i am not sure rebake is the correct term there
[11:22]  Justin Clark-Casey: there were improvements to that made in master. I wouldn't suggest trying to make any changes until the next release, personally
[11:22]  Nebadon Izumi: more like reattach
[11:22]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: yeah...reattach without actually having to remove
[11:22]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: (so it can be done for something you're wearing that isn't in suitcase)
[11:23]  Nebadon Izumi: i have made it a habbit now to always keep my appearance in my suticase
[11:23]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: yeah, that sounds like a bug that can be fixed eventually with some tweaking on timings. Shouldn't need manual intervention
[11:24]  Nebadon Izumi: things seem to work much better if you do that
[11:24]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: maybe link the curent outfit under the suitcase?
[11:24]  Marcus.Llewellyn @grid.verymad.net:8002: First time visitors to my grid have failed TPs more often than not due to asset transfer taking longer than the TP timeout. :/
[11:24]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: yes
[11:24]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: it's a very short time out
[11:25]  Seth.Nygard @refugegrid.com:8002: That issue is common with all grids
[11:25]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: and all assets have to be sent in their entirety in that window
[11:25]  Nebadon Izumi: ya I have seen that too
[11:25]  Nebadon Izumi: first TP fails
[11:25]  Nebadon Izumi: second one is fine
[11:25]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: yeps
[11:25]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: 2nd almost always is instant
[11:25]  Nebadon Izumi: ive never experienced it on my own grids
[11:25]  Nebadon Izumi: usually when someone asks me to visit theirs
[11:25]  Nebadon Izumi: even on my European grids
[11:25]  Nebadon Izumi: havent experienced it
[11:26]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: but if anyone was in the region when you failed the 1st attempt, it's hit and miss as to which of your attachments they see
[11:26]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: if they relog, they'll see everything, and anyone new who enters is sent everything...it's only existing avi where it's hit and miss
[11:27]  Marcus.Llewellyn @grid.verymad.net:8002: That can be especially annoying if you're mesh. It's one thing to be missing hair. But your whole body is even more vexing. Heh.
[11:27]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: exactly
[11:27]  Nebadon Izumi: ya Mesh seems to have some trouble wiht hypergrid
[11:27]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: and worse when it's mesh clothing over mesh body
[11:27]  Nebadon Izumi: there are more problems than just that
[11:27]  Nebadon Izumi: like if i have the same oar loaded on 2 different grids
[11:27]  Nebadon Izumi: with the same exact assets
[11:27]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: it's because mesh often will make the total tp time take more than the 15 second window
[11:27]  Nebadon Izumi: when i teleport from one to the other
[11:27]  Nebadon Izumi: i end up with 1000 yellow pyramids
[11:27]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: Mic about version number of modules... I'm looking into it now, and I think that the best is to use the following convention
[11:27]  Nebadon Izumi: for all the mesh
[11:27]  Nebadon Izumi: prims are fine
[11:28]  Nebadon Izumi: only a cache clear fixes it
[11:28]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: if my module is being compiled against opensim 0.8.1, my modules version numbers are 0.8.1.something
[11:28]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: that way ppl will know that my module has been cpmpiled for opensim 0.8.1
[11:28]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: it's issues like that which would be really nice to fix considering how many people are HGing these days and the general increase in the use of mesh
[11:29]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: hmm, how about the version of the module's code?
[11:30]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: that's the .something
[11:30]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000 whispers: 0.8.1.something
[11:30]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: ok
[11:30]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: where do you specifiy that?
[11:31]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002 still has the TP issue when going from var to regular where the viewer locks up or crashes
[11:31]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: so, the first 3 numbers are opensim version; any additional ones are the module's
[11:31]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: ok
[11:31]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: I rememebr something about the 3rd digit using *
[11:31]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: [assembly: Addin("Diva.MyModule", "0.8.1.1")]
[11:31]  Justin Clark-Casey: what about things like 0.7.6.2 ?
[11:32]  Justin Clark-Casey: which is an opensim version number
[11:32]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: do we have that justincc?
[11:32]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: some magic about the comile version
[11:32]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: aren't our numbers just 3 digits?
[11:32]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: BlueWall that is for .net version numbers
[11:32]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: not mono addins
[11:32]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: these are 2 different number series
[11:32]  Justin Clark-Casey: no, current release is 0.8.0.3, to signal the third bug fix release of 0.8
[11:33]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: really? 4 digits?
[11:33]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002 nods
[11:33]  Nebadon Izumi: mono has a similar practice
[11:33]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: Yes, there can be as many as four in some systems of version control
[11:33]  Nebadon Izumi: with versioning
[11:34]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: I will look for the docs I read about it, then send an email.
[11:34]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: well, we should just decide how many digits we want for OpenSim versioning. Then the addin modules can take beyond that
[11:34]  Marcus.Llewellyn @grid.verymad.net:8002: We've sorta come to treat the first minor number as our major.
[11:34]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: if we want 4 for OS, then my module's version should be [assembly: Addin("DivaMy.Module", "0.8.1.0.1")]
[11:35]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: we need to have a way ot informing consumers of these modules about which OS version the module was compiled against
[11:35]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: If this versioning system is put in place for modules it will affect 3rd party modules (eg. ossearch and osprofile) requiring minor(?) changes to the modules?
[11:36]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: yes
[11:36]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: very minor change
[11:36]  Justin Clark-Casey: crista: opensim versioning would be a max of 4 digits
[11:36]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: ok, then
[11:36]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: ok. I can put those changes in place when I know what needs to be done
[11:36]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: my modules will use 5 digits, where the last one is for the module itself
[11:37]  Mic Bowman: so the opensim version plus module version
[11:37]  Mic Bowman: how is that checked/enforced?
[11:37]  Mic Bowman: the versioning
[11:37]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: yes, and it's not
[11:37]  Mic Bowman: on load?
[11:37]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: well
[11:37]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: it's on load yes
[11:37]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: but this check is not the complete story
[11:37]  Mic Bowman: so if i have a dependency on 0.8.3 opensim module
[11:38]  Mic Bowman: and the actual version is 0.8.1
[11:38]  Mic Bowman: what happens?
[11:38]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: it will fail to load that module, I think
[11:38]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: but as I said these checks are not sufficient
[11:38]  Mic Bowman: what kind of message?
[11:39]  Mic Bowman: and is there a way to check at install time?
[11:39]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: I don't remember but I can tell you in a bit
[11:39]  Justin Clark-Casey: I think all opensim version numbrs will have to be 4 digits for consistency. So it would technically be 0.8.3.0
[11:39]  Mic Bowman: just thining about friendly messages
[11:39]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: I'm right now creating diva modules in this manner
[11:39]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: how about the AddinDependency?
[11:40]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: [assembly: AddinDependency("OpenSim", "0.5")]
[11:40]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: that's the thing that we're talking about
[11:41]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: seems that it should change each time we change an interface
[11:41]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: for exampoe, my modules now have this
[11:41]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: [assembly: AddinDependency("OpenSim.Region.Framework", "0.8.1")]
[11:41]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: OK
[11:41]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: [assembly: Addin("SimBus", "0.1")]
[11:41]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: justin should we switch to 4 digits all over?
[11:41]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: So, that one is my module's version
[11:41]  Justin Clark-Casey: crista: in those addin dpeendency annotations?
[11:42]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: BlueWall, I am going to number my modules so that they include opensim's version
[11:42]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: I think you should do the same
[11:42]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: otherwise people whon't know
[11:42]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: The fourth one could be optional.
[11:44]  Justin Clark-Casey: It would be easier just to have 4 digit v numbers always, if other stuff can handle it
[11:44]  Justin Clark-Casey: special cases can be a pain
[11:44]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002 nods
[11:44]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: ok, there are two numbers series, and they are independent
[11:44]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: one is the .net versioning numbers
[11:45]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: they seem to have 3+some special digit that they manage automatically
[11:45]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: these are our declarations like this
[11:45]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: [assembly: AssemblyVersion("0.8.1.*")]
[11:45]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: another completely different numbers series is mono addins version numbers
[11:45]  Seth.Nygard @refugegrid.com:8002: If OpenSim is already using all 4 numbers for its version, then a fifth digit is needed to support Christa's module versioning scheme.
Release.Major.Minor.BugFixLevel +ModuleVersion
[11:46]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: they are independent, and we could use completely different numbers
[11:46]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: but I think that's a bad idea
[11:46]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: I think we should use the same numbers
[11:46]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: oh
[11:46]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: and there's a 3rd number series
[11:46]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: the version number we tag our releases with
[11:46]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: I wouldn't mix two sets of version numbers in one
[11:47]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: The modules I maintain have their own version numbers that are x.y
[11:47]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: thats in VersionInfo.cs
[11:47]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: Andrew you can do that
[11:48]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: however, people who use your modules will not know against which version of opensim your module was compiled
[11:48]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: you need to tell them by some other means
[11:48]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: as such I am going to include opensim's version in my own module's versions, because I don't want people to ask me questions. You can do whatever you want for yours!
[11:49]  Mic Bowman: are you including that in your module's version?
[11:49]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: yes
[11:49]  Mic Bowman: or in the opensim dependency you puth there
[11:49]  Mic Bowman: ok
[11:49]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: [assembly: Addin("Diva.Modules", "0.8.1.0.1")]
[11:49]  Mic Bowman: and is there a way to write some other script that pulls the opensim version number?
[11:49]  Mic Bowman: to test it on install?
[11:50]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: not with mautil. no
[11:50]  Mic Bowman: my modules have two statements
[11:50]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: [assembly: Addin("Diva.Modules", "0.8.1.0.1")]
[assembly: AddinDependency("OpenSim.Region.Framework", "0.8.1")]
[11:50]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: If you want to mix two vresions in one you need a way to separate out the OS version from the module version.
[11:50]  Mic Bowman: yeah
[11:50]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: the first is documentation for consumers of my module
[11:50]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: the second is for mono addins framework to check
[11:51]  Mic Bowman: got it
[11:51]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: Then, that assembly version can actualy be anything (fro the benefit of the mautils)?
[11:52]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: BlueWall yes. mautils doesn't check assembly version numbers
[11:52]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: it only checks mono addin version numbers
[11:52]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: Ok
[11:52]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: will someone be documenting the proposed versioning system so we can do a proper review and provide comments, or suggest changes, before implementation?
[11:52]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: so, as I said, these chacks are not sufficient
[11:52]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: 'there are many scenarios in which mautils will suceed, but the running time will fail
[11:53]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: have you packed the assemblies into a repo yet?
[11:53]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: Andrew, the versioning of your own modules is entirely up to you. I have a prefered way of doing it, that I'm explaining, and I would recommend others to use it. But it's not mandatory in any way shape or form
[11:53]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: BlueWall yes
[11:54]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: If one module needs to use another there should be a way to query the version number of a module.
[11:54]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: It makes a basic index.html
[11:55]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: I'd be interested in seeing the proposal so I'm clear on compile time vs runt ime versioning of modules.
[11:55]  Justin Clark-Casey: crista: so a way forward is to make the OpenSim version always four digits now?
[11:56]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: I don't know justin, that seems like a hassle
[11:56]  Justin Clark-Casey: before, the first release of 0.7.6 would just be set as "0.7.6"
[11:56]  Justin Clark-Casey: and then a security fix release is 0.7.6.1
[11:56]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: I really don't remember any releases having more than 3 digits, but if you say they do, then let's make that consistent
[11:57]  Justin Clark-Casey: look on the download page right now :)
[11:57]  Justin Clark-Casey: 0.8 is on it's third security release, 0.8.0.3
[11:57]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: ok
[11:57]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: then yes, let's make it consistent
[11:57]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: 4 digits throughout
[11:58]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: If it will make the code harder to deal with by having both 3 and 4 digit versions, 4 would be the way to go for all.
[11:58]  Mic Bowman: security releases do not change interfaces
[11:58]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: heheh
[11:58]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: Now, have you updated a module and have mautils update it?
[11:58]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: so yo'd hope mic! :)
[11:58]  Mic Bowman: :-)
[11:58]  Justin Clark-Casey: yes, I would strenuously avoid that. But if one's idea of an interface is the entire surface of opensimulator methods then that might be very hard to avoid
[11:58]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: The default value for a mising fourth digit would be 0 anyway
[11:58]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: ha, those should be major releases
[11:58]  Justin Clark-Casey: security rleases are as simple as possible precisely so that it's easy to upgrade
[11:59]  Mic Bowman: my point was just that specifying a dependency on 0.8.* is probably good enough
[11:59]  Mic Bowman: or more likely 0.8.1.*
[11:59]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: ls
[11:59]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: ++
[12:00]  Mic Bowman: so for crista's proposal... my module could be 0.8.0.myversion
[12:00]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: I would rather have 3 digits... but I don't know... I'm afraid that interface changes will slip through
[12:00]  Mic Bowman: implying a dependency on 0.8.0.*
[12:00]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: If * is supported that leads to cases of only 3 parts in the version number which then makes on think that the fourth should only be used if it isn't 0
[12:00]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: yes, that would be my preference too
[12:00]  Justin Clark-Casey: how does it know that'#s not 0.8.0.13 for instance?
[12:00]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: * is NOT supported in mono addin numbers
[12:00]  Justin Clark-Casey: er, 0.8.0.3
[12:00]  Mic Bowman: so security updates that require interface changes require a minor version number upgrade
[12:01]  Justin Clark-Casey: that might not be possible
[12:01]  Justin Clark-Casey: if both 0.7.6 and 0.7.7 exist and they both need updates
[12:01]  Mic Bowman: poo... you're right
[12:01]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: Mic, that would push 0.8 to 0.9. Did you mean a bump of micro (third), or the extra fourth?
[12:01]  Mic Bowman: back patches
[12:01]  Mic Bowman: third
[12:01]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: justin, teverything that we're talking about will only apply to versions 0.8.1 onwards
[12:01]  Mic Bowman: sorry
[12:01]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: np.
[12:01]  Justin Clark-Casey: yes, the numbers are just for examples
[12:02]  Justin Clark-Casey: 0.8.1 and 0.8.2, then say
[12:02]  Justin Clark-Casey: or rather, 0.8.1.0, 0.8.2.0
[12:02]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: well, I'd rather have 3 digits for this, but I'm hearing you, and let's go with 4
[12:03]  Justin Clark-Casey: there's also a problem that sometimes those updates don't just contain security fixes
[12:03]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: that means that in OpenSim, the addins will be versioned 0.8.1.0
[12:03]  Justin Clark-Casey: sometimes they do contain backported functionality
[12:03]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: If you want to include use of a * then the parsing of the version should handle missing parts.
[12:03]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: Andrew, mono addins deosn't support *
[12:03]  Justin Clark-Casey: but nothing super major.....
[12:04]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: ok. Somone suggested use of .*
[12:05]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: ok, we'll use four digits for the opensim version numbers in mono addins -land
[12:06]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: I'll bet you some people may forget the fourth sometimes as some (lots of ?) other open source projects only use 3 digits
[12:06]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: :)
[12:07]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: well, my concern is that WE will forget it too
[12:07]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: yeah. It will probably happen
[12:07]  Mic Bowman: i wasn't suggesting a regex (at least not for mono dependencies)
[12:07]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: if we go with , that means that everytime justin does a trivial release that bumps up the 4th digit he will need to remember to update the mono addins version numbers
[12:07]  Mic Bowman: just that the dependcy is on any version like that
[12:08]  Mic Bowman: and... a separate install script should be able to check for more expressive dependencies
[12:08]  Mic Bowman: specifying the dependencies in the modules is necessary
[12:08]  Justin Clark-Casey: crista: I will put it on my big release to do list, which will probably encourage me to automate it in some way
[12:09]  Mic Bowman: for building an install script that non-techies could install will require a different kind of install time check
[12:09]  Justin Clark-Casey: tbh, most of it is automated and I really need to push the scripts into core itself, though some of it is specific to the way opensimulator.org is laid out, etc.
[12:09]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: [assembly: AssemblyVersion("0.8.1.*")]
[12:10]  Nebadon Izumi: ouch
[12:10]  Nebadon Izumi: heh
[12:10]  Nebadon Izumi turns speakers down
[12:10]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: We ahve those in the tree now. Could we use those, somehow?
[12:10]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: BlueWall those are .net asembly version numbers
[12:10]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: not mono addin version numbers
[12:10]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: DIFFERETE THING
[12:10]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: right
[12:10]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: ok, so we won't track those in the adins?
[12:10]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: only informally
[12:11]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: That's is why a doc would be helpful to point out the two different sets of numbers and their use
[12:11]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: that is what I'm saying
[12:11]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: I believe that we need to track them, otherwise it's confusing as hell
[12:11]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: you'd have an opensim release 0.8.1 corresponding to an opensim addin release 0.1
[12:11]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: chaos!
[12:11]  Justin Clark-Casey: 0.8.1.0.....
[12:11]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: hehe
[12:12]  Justin Clark-Casey: it's bad enough with ppl out there calling it opensim 8.0...
[12:12]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: currently there is nothing in code that enforces that those 2 numbers ar ethe same
[12:12]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: Yes, if we are updating the assembly versions now, and we want soemthing similar in the addins, then we might make some scripts to update core modules crom that information?
[12:12]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: in fact there is nothing in the code that enforces that all opensim DLLs have the same assembly version number
[12:12]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: ok
[12:13]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: maybe we should enforce these things
[12:13]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: let me see if it works
[12:13]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: we could even go as far as signing the asemblies too :)
[12:13]  Richardus.Raymaker @hypergrid.org:8002: oh, itsd late. need to go. see you all.
[12:13]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: see ya RiRa
[12:13]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: Bye, Richardus
[12:13]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: Happy new year
[12:13]  Aine.Caoimhe @refugegrid.com:8002: happy New Year everyone
[12:14]  Richardus.Raymaker @hypergrid.org:8002: You to. sooner better. enough fireworks noise
[12:14]  Seth.Nygard @refugegrid.com:8002: Have a great day Richardus, take care
[12:14]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: Yes, Hapy New Year
[12:14]  Richardus.Raymaker @hypergrid.org:8002: Happy newyear
[12:14]  Seth.Nygard @refugegrid.com:8002: Have a great day Aine, take care
[12:14]  Nebadon Izumi: are we going to jump to the Keynotes?
[12:15]  Nebadon Izumi: or do we have enough data?
[12:15]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: I have to go out to do some errands so I can't head over there toay
[12:15]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: s/toay/today/
[12:15]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: Justin, t looks like it's possible to use OPenSim.VersionInfo in the mono addin annotations, but the version number cannot have letters, just numbers
[12:16]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: Nebadon, why don't we take the rest of the year off? ;)
[12:16]  Nebadon Izumi: well Mic requested the load test
[12:16]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: ok
[12:16]  Nebadon Izumi: i have already given him some data on my 60 bots
[12:16]  Nebadon Izumi: they have been logged in at keynotes the entire meeting
[12:16]  Nebadon Izumi: and i assume justin has been feeding mic data from the meeting
[12:16]  Justin Clark-Casey: crista: so VersionInfo.VERSION_NUMBER isn't ok?
[12:17]  Mic Bowman: yup
[12:17]  Justin Clark-Casey: currently "0.8.1", which would become 0.8.1.0 of course
[12:17]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: I'd be fine with that
[12:17]  Justin Clark-Casey: ah, maybe because VersionInfo.Version tacks on the dev, rc1, etc thing?
[12:17]  Nebadon Izumi: i really need to replace these chairs
[12:17]  Nebadon Izumi: they suck
[12:18]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: I need to get going.
[12:18]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: what's with the hanging animation?
[12:18]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: See everyone in the new year.
[12:18]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: see ya Andrew
[12:19]  Seth.Nygard @refugegrid.com:8002: Have a great day Andwer, take care
[12:19]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: Thanks, Seth
[12:19]  Seth.Nygard @refugegrid.com:8002: Hapy New Year to everyone
[12:19]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: Bye Seth
[12:19]  Seth.Nygard @refugegrid.com:8002: Were we still planning a mini load test today?
[12:20]  Mic Bowman: i'm gonna head over to the key note
[12:20]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: me too
[12:20]  Justin Clark-Casey: yeah, let's see if we can reproduce a previous issuents
[11:50]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: [assembly: Addin("Diva.Modules", "0.8.1.0.1")]
[assembly: AddinDependency("OpenSim.Region.Framework", "0.8.1")]
[11:50]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: If you want to mix two vresions in one you need a way to separate out the OS version from the module version.
[11:50]  Mic Bowman: yeah
[11:50]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: the first is documentation for consumers of my module
[11:50]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: the second is for mono addins framework to check
[11:51]  Mic Bowman: got it
[11:51]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: Then, that assembly version can actualy be anything (fro the benefit of the mautils)?
[11:52]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: BlueWall yes. mautils doesn't check assembly version numbers
[11:52]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: it only checks mono addin version numbers
[11:52]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: Ok
[11:52]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: will someone be documenting the proposed versioning system so we can do a proper review and provide comments, or suggest changes, before implementation?
[11:52]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: so, as I said, these chacks are not sufficient
[11:52]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: 'there are many scenarios in which mautils will suceed, but the running time will fail
[11:53]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: have you packed the assemblies into a repo yet?
[11:53]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: Andrew, the versioning of your own modules is entirely up to you. I have a prefered way of doing it, that I'm explaining, and I would recommend others to use it. But it's not mandatory in any way shape or form
[11:53]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: BlueWall yes
[11:54]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: If one module needs to use another there should be a way to query the version number of a module.
[11:54]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: It makes a basic index.html
[11:55]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: I'd be interested in seeing the proposal so I'm clear on compile time vs runt ime versioning of modules.
[11:55]  Justin Clark-Casey: crista: so a way forward is to make the OpenSim version always four digits now?
[11:56]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: I don't know justin, that seems like a hassle
[11:56]  Justin Clark-Casey: before, the first release of 0.7.6 would just be set as "0.7.6"
[11:56]  Justin Clark-Casey: and then a security fix release is 0.7.6.1
[11:56]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: I really don't remember any releases having more than 3 digits, but if you say they do, then let's make that consistent
[11:57]  Justin Clark-Casey: look on the download page right now :)
[11:57]  Justin Clark-Casey: 0.8 is on it's third security release, 0.8.0.3
[11:57]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: ok
[11:57]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: then yes, let's make it consistent
[11:57]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: 4 digits throughout
[11:58]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: If it will make the code harder to deal with by having both 3 and 4 digit versions, 4 would be the way to go for all.
[11:58]  Mic Bowman: security releases do not change interfaces
[11:58]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: heheh
[11:58]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: Now, have you updated a module and have mautils update it?
[11:58]  Crista.Lopes @nile.ics.uci.edu:9000: so yo'd hope mic! :)
[11:58]  Mic Bowman: :-)
[11:58]  Justin Clark-Casey: yes, I would strenuously avoid that. But if one's idea of an interface is the entire surface of opensimulator methods then that might be very hard to avoid
[11:58]  Andrew.Hellershanks @login.greatcanadiangrid.ca:8002: The default value for a mising fourth digit would be 0 anyway
[11:58]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: ha, those should be major releases
[11:58]  Justin Clark-Casey: security rleases are as simple as possible precisely so that it's easy to upgrade
[11:59]  Mic Bowman: my point was just that specifying a dependency on 0.8.* is probably good enough
[11:59]  Mic Bowman: or more likely 0.8.1.*
[11:59]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: ls
[11:59]  BlueWall.Slade @gateway.bluewallvirtual.net:8002: ++
Personal tools
General
About This Wiki