Chat log from the meeting on 2010-01-12

From OpenSimulator

Revision as of 18:32, 3 March 2012 by MakoBot (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Tuesday Meeting @ Wright Plaza on OSGrid

[10:59] Justin Clark-Casey: hello folks. glad to see you got the inventory issue sorted out (mine at least)
[10:59] Michael Skelito: hiya Justin
[10:59] Nebadon Izumi: yep everything should be back to pretty much normal
[10:59] Dahlia Trimble is Online
[10:59] Nebadon Izumi: we did alot of fixes this week to the database
[10:59] Justin Clark-Casey: cool - was it an inventory cleanup tool run amok?
[10:59] Nebadon Izumi: i think its 2.5 years of never cleaning the table
[10:59] Tesira Luco is Offline
[11:00] Nebadon Izumi: we literally never did any mainenance on those tables
[11:00] Nebadon Izumi: not ever
[11:00] Justin Clark-Casey grins
[11:00] Nebadon Izumi: so looking at it in that light
[11:00] Nebadon Izumi: its amazing we made it 2.5 years
[11:00] Justin Clark-Casey nods
[11:00] Nebadon Izumi: that says something for the software
[11:00] Dahlia Trimble is Offline
[11:00] Nebadon Izumi: it likely wont happen again though
[11:00] Nebadon Izumi: not on that scale
[11:01] Michael Skelito: was it the import stuff that broke many?
[11:01] Nebadon Izumi: i doubt it
[11:01] Nebadon Izumi: i think the server was just on the fritz
[11:01] Nebadon Izumi: several factors
[11:01] Nebadon Izumi: database cruft
[11:01] Nebadon Izumi: long running inventory server
[11:01] Michael Skelito: I just had that login issue
[11:01] Nebadon Izumi: sometimes only reset once a month
[11:01] Nebadon Izumi: ya the login issue was related to inventory
[11:01] Michael Skelito: but inventory has always been fine
[11:02] Nebadon Izumi: basiclly anyone who could not log in
[11:02] Richardus Raymaker: hi menadon, skelito
[11:02] Nebadon Izumi: thier inventory parentfolder ids column got whacked
[11:02] Michael Skelito: hiya
[11:02] Nebadon Izumi: nothing was lost but the folder strcture got skewed some how
[11:02] Richardus Raymaker: nebadon, is this a new one, because it says 1.61
[11:02] Nebadon Izumi: 1.61 is the newest
[11:02] Nebadon Izumi: i have not made any more since then
[11:03] Michael Skelito: who fixes svn?
[11:03] Nebadon Izumi: might have a new one next week with some new functions on board
[11:03] Michael Skelito: teravus?
[11:03] Dahlia Trimble is Online
[11:03] Nebadon Izumi: he might
[11:03] Nebadon Izumi: SVN is going to not always be around
[11:03] Richardus Raymaker: ok
[11:03] Nebadon Izumi: it may already past its expiration date
[11:03] Michael Skelito: yesI know
[11:03] Michael Skelito: lol
[11:03] Nebadon Izumi: the thing was
[11:03] Nebadon Izumi: Sean set it up
[11:03] Richardus Raymaker: hello hiro
[11:03] Nebadon Izumi: sdague
[11:03] Nebadon Izumi: and he has since left the project
[11:03] Richardus Raymaker: hi jcc
[11:03] Justin Clark-Casey: hey richardus
[11:03] Hiro Protagonist: Hi Rira
[11:04] Michael Skelito: I know teravus kicked it a few times
[11:04] Richardus Raymaker: hi whitestar
[11:04] Dahlia Trimble is Offline
[11:04] Michael Skelito: I miss it :)
[11:04] Nebadon Izumi: ya right now that box has 3 primary maintainers
[11:04] Richardus Raymaker: uhmm i use git, offcorse i still dont know all commads
[11:04] Nebadon Izumi: Teravus, Adam and Melanie
[11:04] Nebadon Izumi: any fixes will have to go through them
[11:04] Andrew Hellershanks: hello
[11:04] Dahlia Trimble is Online
[11:05] Friendly Harbour: hello everyone :)
[11:05] Richardus Raymaker: hu andrew
[11:05] Michael Skelito: hi hi
[11:05] Hiro Protagonist: just an aside here, but it sure is nice to be on a box where the video orks
[11:05] Nebadon Izumi: hehe nice Hiro
[11:05] Nebadon Izumi: also something i did yesterday
[11:06] Nebadon Izumi: Melanie made the Grid server reject duplicate sim names
[11:06] Richardus Raymaker: hi dahlia
[11:06] Nebadon Izumi: so i purged all dupe sims from table
[11:06] Michael Skelito: nice
[11:06] Dahlia Trimble: hi :)
[11:06] Hiro Protagonist: OH Excellent!
[11:06] Nebadon Izumi: hopefully that will improve the grid experience a bit
[11:06] Nebadon Izumi: even if only marginally
[11:06] Richardus Raymaker: that explains why ir finaly worked yesterday
[11:06] WhiteStar Magic: back... Hi Everyone
[11:06] Hiro Protagonist: I was thinking about that earlier
[11:06] Hiro Protagonist: it would be so simple to do
[11:06] Richardus Raymaker: becasue Pardise send me to paradise.
[11:06] Nebadon Izumi: the problem wasnt as bad as you think
[11:06] Hiro Protagonist: just set the column 'must be unique' in the sql
[11:06] Nebadon Izumi: 73 regions total
[11:06] Richardus Raymaker: sorry Paradise -> paradise
[11:06] Nebadon Izumi: had dupe names
[11:07] Nebadon Izumi: so it wasnt a giant problem by any means
[11:07] Nebadon Izumi: but one less anoying thing to worry about
[11:07] Michael Skelito: you asked for that awhile back didnt you?
[11:07] Michael Skelito: or someone did
[11:07] Key Gruin is Online
[11:07] Nebadon Izumi: ive been asking for that for well over a year
[11:07] Nebadon Izumi: hehe
[11:08] Nebadon Izumi: there were reasons in the past to not stop it
[11:08] Nebadon Izumi: but now and for quite some time now, that is no longer the case
[11:08] WhiteStar Magic: hi dahlia
[11:08] Nebadon Izumi: back when the load balancer was being worked on and looked like it had potential
[11:08] Dahlia Trimble: hi :)
[11:08] Nebadon Izumi: it was more tolerable to deal with the issue
[11:08] WhiteStar Magic: There's a nice little mantis waiting for ya
[11:08] Michael Skelito: shes zooming around
[11:08] WhiteStar Magic: too much Jolt Cola
[11:09] Michael Skelito: lol
[11:09] Nebadon Izumi: but now that its proven to be somewhat of a dud theres not much point in maintaining that attitude
[11:09] Justin Clark-Casey: greetings dahlia
[11:09] Dahlia Trimble: hi :)
[11:09] Nebadon Izumi: so what else is going on with everyone?
[11:09] Nebadon Izumi: anyone have any hot topics?
[11:10] Dahlia Trimble: sim seems really responsive today
[11:10] Nebadon Izumi: ya its running on near head too
[11:10] Nebadon Izumi: i updated last night
[11:10] Nebadon Izumi: i implemented a new update procedure here
[11:10] Nebadon Izumi: more automated
[11:10] WhiteStar Magic: funny.. ypour timestamp is about an hour off mine ...
[11:10] Andrew Hellershanks is mostly an interested observer with ideas on a couple things he would like to work on in the OS code.
[11:10] Nebadon Izumi: hopefully we get a bit more consitancy now
[11:10] Hiro Protagonist: I'm gettin unusually good graphic framerates
[11:10] Friendly Harbour: "hot" .... i've been struggling with the cold the last few weeks lol
[11:10] Justin Clark-Casey: what kind of things, Andrew?
[11:10] Dahlia Trimble: Andrew, tell us more :)
[11:11] Andrew Hellershanks: I started work on OSSL functions that could let a script add a person to a group. Useful in land/shop rental boxes.
[11:11] Andrew Hellershanks: Also interested in trying to fix giving inventory from links in NC's.
[11:11] Key Gruin is Online
[11:11] Nebadon Izumi: is that not working?
[11:12] Nebadon Izumi: i noticed that images work from notecards
[11:12] Nebadon Izumi: had not tried anything else
[11:12] Nebadon Izumi: might look at how images work
[11:12] Dahlia Trimble: patches are welcome, be sure to read the contribution policy on the wiki first
[11:12] Nebadon Izumi: cause im pretty sure that works
[11:12] Andrew Hellershanks: well... I'd have to test the code from git. It isn't working in a grid I'm using that is running 0.6.9 as of a couple weeks ago.
[11:13] Dahlia Trimble: yep patches are best made and tested agains our git master
[11:14] WhiteStar Magic: lots is changing too
[11:14] Nebadon Izumi: also an update on the new asset servers
[11:14] Nebadon Izumi: both machines have been successfully installed into the data center
[11:14] WhiteStar Magic: ...
[11:14] Nebadon Izumi: lag....
[11:14] WhiteStar Magic: that was nasty
[11:14] Andrew Hellershanks: oh, of course. I haven't updated my copy of OS from git right now because it is a pain to merge the latest code with my copy that has some changes to support a group join script function.
[11:14] Nebadon Izumi: hehe someone playing wiht inventory?
[11:14] Michael Skelito: nope
[11:14] Nebadon Izumi: anyway an update on the new servers
[11:14] Hiro Protagonist: not I
[11:14] Nebadon Izumi: both servers have been successfully assembled and installed into the New Jersey data center
[11:15] Nebadon Izumi: same center that hosts our plaza04 server
[11:15] Dahlia Trimble: new jersey data center?
[11:15] Nebadon Izumi: the asset rsync is well underway
[11:15] Nebadon Izumi: about 70% complete
[11:15] Nebadon Izumi: of 200gb
[11:15] Friendly Harbour: what is the current status of getting user and message servers into ROBUST?
[11:15] Andrew Hellershanks: Dahlia, I'll take a look at the policy before my next patch. I've already had a couple of small changes of mine get in to the OS code.
[11:15] Nebadon Izumi: yes the new Asset servers will be hosted in North Bergen, New Jersey
[11:15] Nebadon Izumi: same data center that hosts Lbsa Plaza
[11:15] Nebadon Izumi: same rack infact
[11:16] Nebadon Izumi: it should improve things for our EU crowd a bit
[11:16] Nebadon Izumi: moving things 3000 miles closer
[11:16] Dahlia Trimble: isnt UK hosting cheaper?
[11:16] Justin Clark-Casey: friendly: I think you would need to ask diva or melanie, though it certainly appears to be progressing from all the commits taking place
[11:16] Hiro Protagonist: I think it's probably provisioned with a far superior network connection too
[11:16] Nebadon Izumi: well not with the hardware we purchased
[11:16] Nebadon Izumi: no
[11:17] Nebadon Izumi: we purchased 12tb of discs etc..
[11:17] Nebadon Izumi: 16gb ram
[11:17] Nebadon Izumi: these machines are very beefy
[11:17] Friendly Harbour: jcc: ok, good to know :)
[11:17] Nebadon Izumi: it was way cheaper to buy the hardware and host it ourselves centrally
[11:18] Michael Skelito: should this help load testing?
[11:18] Nebadon Izumi: not really no
[11:18] Nebadon Izumi: but it will extend the life of the grid significantly
[11:18] Nebadon Izumi: probably quadruples our life span
[11:18] Michael Skelito: nice
[11:18] Nebadon Izumi: but some people might see better perofrmance
[11:19] Michael Skelito: so basically load testing isnt hardware then
[11:19] Nebadon Izumi: i dont think anyone will see any declines though
[11:19] Nebadon Izumi: so thats good
[11:19] Nebadon Izumi: these are really nice boxes
[11:19] Nebadon Izumi: we got an amazing deal
[11:19] Simulator Version v0.5 shouts: OpenSim 0.6.9 (Dev) 7467a47: 2010-01-11 22:52:05 +0000 (Unix/Mono)
[11:19] Nebadon Izumi: it will be a bit more still though before they go live
[11:19] Nebadon Izumi: also i will also break the news here
[11:19] Nebadon Izumi: we are going to have the box reloaded too
[11:20] Nebadon Izumi: we will shift 100% of operations to these new boxes for a week or two
[11:20] Nebadon Izumi: while the primary box is reloaded
[11:20] Andrew Hellershanks: hm... I should look for a simulator version script.
[11:20] Nebadon Izumi: but i have no firm date when that will happen
[11:20] Michael Skelito: any down time?
[11:20] Nebadon Izumi: maybe
[11:20] Nebadon Izumi: hard to say
[11:20] Nebadon Izumi: we will minimize it to our best ability
[11:21] Michael Skelito: seems people dont mind if they know about
[11:21] Nebadon Izumi: ya
[11:21] Nebadon Izumi: we will give everyone ample time to prepare
[11:21] Nebadon Izumi: and hopefully most wont even notice
[11:21] Nebadon Izumi: its a long time coming
[11:21] Nebadon Izumi: that box is messy
[11:21] Nebadon Izumi: and has needed to be reloaded for the better part of a year now
[11:22] Nebadon Izumi: we will probably move from debian to suse
[11:22] Nebadon Izumi: suse has been very awesome
[11:22] Nebadon Izumi: its what this simulator is running in
[11:22] Michael Skelito: whats lbsa?
[11:22] Nebadon Izumi: Debian
[11:23] WhiteStar Magic: Andrew :
[11:23] Michael Skelito: that getting switched as well?
[11:23] Friendly Harbour: so all the grid services and grid owned sims run on linux?
[11:23] Nebadon Izumi: no that box will stay as is
[11:23] Nebadon Izumi: for now anyway
[11:23] Penny Lane: Distros shouldn't really make a difference, beyond some adding unecessary bloat that isn't needed for running a sim.
[11:24] Nebadon Izumi: ya for mono and development purposes
[11:24] Nebadon Izumi: i find suse to be the most cozy place to be
[11:24] WhiteStar Magic: IMO... OSG shoudl run on most known to be Stable. Everyone else is running whatever was ever created by whoever.
[11:24] Nebadon Izumi: ive found with other various distros i spend too much time worrying about linux
[11:24] Nebadon Izumi: and less about OpenSim
[11:24] Dahlia Trimble: I've found that distros do make a difference
[11:24] Nebadon Izumi: Suse gives me the freedom to focus on dev
[11:24] Nebadon Izumi: and not linux suport
[11:24] Dahlia Trimble: often necessary libraries for mono will vary
[11:25] Hiro Protagonist: that may be true in the strict theoretical sense Penny but our experience runnig a dozen or so regions in a production capacity tends to indicate otherwise from a practical perspective\
[11:25] Dahlia Trimble: and then some servers have bizarre kernels
[11:25] Nebadon Izumi: experience helps
[11:25] Nebadon Izumi: if your very familiar with any particular platform
[11:25] Nebadon Izumi: thats always an advantage
[11:25] Penny Lane: Hiro: some distros are bad for you?
[11:25] Hiro Protagonist: centos and redhat blow goats
[11:25] Hiro Protagonist: need I say more
[11:25] Dahlia Trimble: I use centos ok
[11:25] WhiteStar Magic: poor goats
[11:26] Dahlia Trimble: we had problems with debian for a long time
[11:26] Nebadon Izumi: ive not used Redhat in a while
[11:26] Nebadon Izumi: CentOS is a great Enterprise OS
[11:26] Dahlia Trimble: now I have centos and debian and windows servers
[11:26] Nebadon Izumi: but not a great choice for deving on OpenSim
[11:26] Nebadon Izumi: but again personal experience helps
[11:26] Nebadon Izumi: im mostly just more comfortable in suse than anything else
[11:26] Nebadon Izumi: its breaks the least
[11:26] Nebadon Izumi: so its my fav
[11:27] Dahlia Trimble: centos has a nice firewall
[11:27] Will Boudreaux is Offline
[11:27] Dahlia Trimble: which can get in the way :/
[11:27] Nebadon Izumi: of all the OS's Debian is probably my least fav
[11:27] Nebadon Izumi: its the most breaky in terms of Mono
[11:27] Penny Lane: It might be nice to roll an Opensim-specific distro, cut down to only the tools needed for deploying a sim. Would be good for booting on VPSs.
[11:27] Nebadon Izumi: though i must admit Debian 5 is much better
[11:27] Nebadon Izumi: debian 4 gives me bad dreams
[11:27] Dahlia Trimble: VPSs are really inconsistant
[11:28] Nebadon Izumi: was Debian 4 at birth
[11:28] Dahlia Trimble: lenny is nice
[11:28] Nebadon Izumi: then forced to Debian 5
[11:28] Nebadon Izumi: and it went horribly bad
[11:28] Nebadon Izumi: it needs to be reloaded
[11:28] Dahlia Trimble: I have a few regions on osgrid running on lenny right now, they are pretty solid
[11:28] Nebadon Izumi: ya starting fresh with 5 is much better experience
[11:29] Nebadon Izumi: but still id prefer suse in the end
[11:29] Nebadon Izumi: i like the closeness to mono too
[11:29] Nebadon Izumi: thats a nice bonus
[11:29] Dahlia Trimble: I've never successfully installed suse, wont run on my hardware :/
[11:29] Penny Lane: I'll try building a barebones Gentoo with nothing on it except what's needed by Opensim. Should be pretty slim.
[11:30] Nebadon Izumi: Gentoo is one ive not used before
[11:30] Michael Skelito: whats the word on viewers these days?
[11:30] Nebadon Izumi: been quiet
[11:30] Andrew Hellershanks: WhiteStar, thanks but the issue is about handling git pull when git tell me there is a conflict it can't resolve between the latest code and my checked out files.
[11:30] Nebadon Izumi: ive not heard anything lately on viewers
[11:31] Penny Lane: Neb: as it's a source-based distro, it allows you to tweak the deps so that stuff you don't want doesn't get brought in, so can be very sleep for tight deployments.
[11:31] WhiteStar Magic: Imprudence is @ 1.3 test
[11:31] WhiteStar Magic: looking really good too
[11:31] Penny Lane: s/sleep/sleek/
[11:31] Michael Skelito: any good?
[11:31] Nebadon Izumi: ya that makes sense
[11:31] Nebadon Izumi: luckily we currently have an excess of hardware cycles
[11:32] Nebadon Izumi: were not fighting to squeeze in 1 last bit
[11:32] Nebadon Izumi: hehe
[11:32] Friendly Harbour: i use imprudence 1.3 on sl and find it to have poor performance and frequent crashes
[11:32] Dahlia Trimble: I was running imprudence and the latest meerkat and when I teleported a lot of land and water would not appear
[11:32] Dahlia Trimble: works fine on hippo
[11:32] Andrew Hellershanks: I head that Imprudence is the new viewer replacing Meerkat
[11:32] Andrew Hellershanks: I heard
[11:32] WhiteStar Magic: Meerkat is dead
[11:32] Nebadon Izumi: ya most of the LL based viewers all use each others code anyway
[11:32] WhiteStar Magic: soeone finally caught it and killed it
[11:32] Nebadon Izumi: after a few weeks and months
[11:32] Penny Lane: Imprudence is extremely stable here, maybe more stable than in SL, hehe.
[11:32] Nebadon Izumi: all the viewers end up the same
[11:33] Andrew Hellershanks: All just have a few UI differences mainly
[11:33] WhiteStar Magic: Well... krowa o MK is contributing to Imprudence
[11:33] Dahlia Trimble has to go, bye all :)
[11:33] Penny Lane: !Sim bandwidth is at zero. I think WP is taking a dive.
[11:33] Justin Clark-Casey: bye dahlia
[11:33] WhiteStar Magic: the HPA Backups and restores are in teh new rev
[11:33] Michael Skelito: byees Dahlia
[11:33] Dahlia Trimble is Offline
[11:34] WhiteStar Magic: Anton and teh team are working hard on Naali
[11:34] Richardus Raymaker: back from phone, hi penny.
[11:34] Michael Skelito: so refactoring still going on?
[11:34] WhiteStar Magic: yeah... big time
[11:34] Richardus Raymaker: i think opensuse (server) is the best linux for starters. you can do everything easy with yast. onloy soem things you need midnight commander and manual edit.
[11:34] WhiteStar Magic: sounds awfull good
[11:34] Michael Skelito: miss the load tests lol
[11:35] Hiro Protagonist: I'm actually a big fan of what I'm seeing with radegast/lookingglass
[11:35] Hiro Protagonist: it's fundamentally different
[11:36] Andrew Hellershanks: Ubuntu seems to have done a fairly decent job of making things work out of the box.
[11:36] Hiro Protagonist: I'm so sick of this 'viewer' I could shoot my monitor with a 12 guage shotgun and obtain a certain amount of satisfaction
[11:36] Nebadon Izumi: ya radegast is pretty cool
[11:36] Nebadon Izumi: lol
[11:37] Nebadon Izumi: soo OpenSim is turning 3 too
[11:37] Penny Lane: Sure would be nice if the Opensim community got their own viewer, not dependent on LL.
[11:37] Nebadon Izumi: anyone have any parties planned or anything?
[11:37] Michael Skelito: you do lol
[11:38] Nebadon Izumi: ive been reluctant to plan anything with the inventory issues
[11:38] Nebadon Izumi: but now that we are past that
[11:38] Nebadon Izumi: i think its safe to plan some parties
[11:38] Richardus Raymaker: just building on area to do mettings or so :)
[11:39] Michael Skelito: whens the bday?
[11:39] Nebadon Izumi: in the next 2 weeks
[11:39] Nebadon Izumi: i dont know the exact day
[11:39] Nebadon Izumi: just that its the end of this month
[11:39] Nebadon Izumi: last year we had a good week of parties
[11:39] Michael Skelito: last year was fun
[11:39] WhiteStar Magic: Terrible Two's are nearly done, now into Toddling 3's
[11:40] Nebadon Izumi: hehe
[11:40] Nebadon Izumi pust child safties on all the cabinet doors
[11:40] M1sha Dallin: Does that mean we'll fall over a lot?
[11:40] Nebadon Izumi: hehe
[11:40] WhiteStar Magic: and nw runners to chase it
[11:41] Michael Skelito: has anyone noticed more people coming in these days?
[11:41] OtakuMegane Desu: Sure
[11:41] Justin Clark-Casey: are there any new osgrid user statistics around?
[11:42] Michael Skelito: any word on avie creation yet?
[11:42] Michael Skelito: is that core?
[11:42] Nebadon Izumi: what you mean creation?
[11:42] Nebadon Izumi: like from website?
[11:42] WhiteStar Magic: seems to be a lot of noobs showing up
[11:42] Michael Skelito: yes
[11:42] Nebadon Izumi: ya
[11:42] Nebadon Izumi: another note about user stats
[11:42] Nebadon Izumi: in 2010
[11:42] WhiteStar Magic: it's increasing from what I have seen
[11:42] Nebadon Izumi: we have already signed up more users in 2010
[11:43] Nebadon Izumi: than we did in the 1st year of operation
[11:43] Richardus Raymaker: the word start to spread
[11:43] Nebadon Izumi: we are well over 1500 new users in 2010
[11:43] OtakuMegane Desu: Just given the number of "halp how do i opensimed?" requests in IRC I'd say we got something of a boost the last month or two.
[11:43] Nebadon Izumi: on track for 50,000+ new users this year
[11:43] Nebadon Izumi: if those numbers keep up
[11:43] Nebadon Izumi: but thats a big "IF"
[11:43] Richardus Raymaker: hi otaku, yes last time there more in irc
[11:43] Michael Skelito: lbsa is a joke with ruths this week
[11:44] Nebadon Izumi: ya its all the noobies
[11:44] Michael Skelito: same do i edit my avie
[11:44] WhiteStar Magic: Invasion of the Ruthies
[11:44] OtakuMegane Desu: I should visit Lbsa more lol
[11:44] Nebadon Izumi: they are coming it at alarming rates
[11:44] Michael Skelito: I forgot how sl does newbie
[11:44] WhiteStar Magic: It's on eof teh reasons I finally got around to writting teh HOW TO for Windows Installation.... been meaning to do it but lately, someone is asking teh same stuff, once twice a day if not more
[11:45] Richardus Raymaker: this days SL newbies are nice skinend .. right ?
[11:45] Michael Skelito: new peeps dont know of forum and irc
[11:45] Richardus Raymaker: what happend with the welcome center in osgrid ?
[11:45] OtakuMegane Desu: SL dumps them in a confusingand laggy newb corral. Hopefully someone will help them or they'll manage on their own
[11:45] Nebadon Izumi: i dunno about nice
[11:45] Nebadon Izumi: but ya on SL you get a choice on the website
[11:45] Nebadon Izumi: i made a avatar not long ago and the new avatars are kinda odd
[11:45] WhiteStar Magic: they are better than Ruth]
[11:45] Nebadon Izumi: i really didnt like the choices they give
[11:45] Michael Skelito: is that a pain to implament?
[11:45] Nebadon Izumi: but ya
[11:45] Nebadon Izumi: it is better than ruth
[11:46] Nebadon Izumi: but i still wanted to replace it just as fast
[11:46] Penny Lane: Is the Diva Distro getting a lot of traction among new OS recruits?
[11:46] WhiteStar Magic: would be nice to have say 3 Male & 3 Female Starters to pick from
[11:46] Michael Skelito: yes
[11:46] Michael Skelito: how did lendgend do it?
[11:47] OtakuMegane Desu: If we're going to do custom starting avs, should get some decent skins at least. Not the mannequin things SL has.
[11:47] Penny Lane: Yep
[11:47] Richardus Raymaker: michael, its not something like let then choice avatat and the write right uuid to database for the avatar parts ?
[11:47] WhiteStar Magic: there must be a way to export teh avatar shape,skin etc and stick it in the library
[11:47] Nebadon Izumi: avatar choosing is really outside the scope of OpenSimulator
[11:48] Michael Skelito: so thats website stuff
[11:48] Nebadon Izumi: its more something thats part of the web interfaces
[11:48] Michael Skelito: not core
[11:48] Nebadon Izumi: yes
[11:48] Michael Skelito: ok
[11:48] Nebadon Izumi: as it is right now opensim is capable
[11:48] Nebadon Izumi: its just our website is not
[11:49] Michael Skelito: I just watch alot editing default ruth and fail :)
[11:49] Richardus Raymaker: a good fast welcome center with premade avatars work fine to
[11:49] Nebadon Izumi: ya we should have something soon
[11:49] Nebadon Izumi: just so much stuff going on
[11:49] Michael Skelito: there are some at lbsa but they miss it
[11:50] Michael Skelito: any work on # of avies in a sim these days?
[11:50] Nebadon Izumi: that depends on the hardware OS and sim operator really
[11:50] Michael Skelito: I mean like lbsa
[11:51] OtakuMegane Desu: Hmm
[11:51] Michael Skelito: it gets pounded
[11:51] Nebadon Izumi: ya
[11:51] Nebadon Izumi: Lbsas problem is mono
[11:51] Nebadon Izumi: hehe
[11:52] Michael Skelito: oh
[11:52] Michael Skelito: ok
[11:52] Nebadon Izumi: mono still has a long road ahead
[11:52] Nebadon Izumi: as does opensimulator itself
[11:52] Penny Lane: I remember on the old wiki there was a proposal for offloading sim load to cope with more avatars than SL regions can. Did that ever go beyond proposal stage?
[11:52] WhiteStar Magic: is LBSA going to be on SUSE on teh new machine ?
[11:52] OtakuMegane Desu: Yeah. But both are vastly better than they were when I started.
[11:52] Nebadon Izumi: no Lbsa is Debian 5
[11:52] Nebadon Izumi: and will remain so for the time being
[11:52] Nebadon Izumi: 32 bit
[11:52] Nebadon Izumi: thats our safe box
[11:52] Michael Skelito: did you ever test lbsa on windows?
[11:52] Nebadon Izumi: hehe
[11:53] WhiteStar Magic: damn shame... that needs otbe stabalized
[11:53] Nebadon Izumi: we have in the past
[11:53] Nebadon Izumi: it doesnt make that much difference really
[11:53] Nebadon Izumi: its still going to crash alot
[11:53] Nebadon Izumi: with opensim bugs
[11:53] Nebadon Izumi: mono tends to run out of memory more often though
[11:53] Nebadon Izumi: so it can have a higher incidence of restarts
[11:54] Michael Skelito: is sl the same?
[11:54] Nebadon Izumi: no cant really compare it to SL
[11:54] Nebadon Izumi: SL is not mono
[11:54] Nebadon Izumi: its C++ and Python i think
[11:54] Richardus Raymaker: are the mono devs hunting the problem, or are fauteres more important ?
[11:54] Nebadon Izumi: mono is just incomplete
[11:54] OtakuMegane Desu: I'm sure it's on the list of bugs to hunt
[11:54] WhiteStar Magic: side bar... hows is teh resources running on Wright at this time.... we have been here almost an hour and minimal issues ... ???
[11:54] Nebadon Izumi: it has no real GC system
[11:54] Nebadon Izumi: the GC wont work until mono 2.8
[11:54] Michael Skelito: well if windows does it too then there are other issues
[11:55] Nebadon Izumi: well it crashes less in windows
[11:55] OtakuMegane Desu: Most "features" are on hold for now I believe
[11:55] Nebadon Izumi: but its still going to crash
[11:55] Nebadon Izumi: opensim is not perfect
[11:55] Nebadon Izumi: but .net does out perform mono
[11:55] Nebadon Izumi: its not a fair fight
[11:55] Nebadon Izumi: mono is incomplete
[11:55] Nebadon Izumi: .net is not
[11:55] Richardus Raymaker: but still i think most use linux on servers
[11:55] OtakuMegane Desu: They're closer now, though.
[11:55] Nebadon Izumi: oh ya
[11:56] Nebadon Izumi: its improving a ton
[11:56] Nebadon Izumi: but theres still a few miles of road
[11:56] Richardus Raymaker: its pretty good with 2.6.1
[11:56] Penny Lane: Neb: eek! I hadn't heard that a good GC won't come until 2.8. If that's actually on the roadmap, it seems to mean that they're aware it's bad currently.
[11:56] OtakuMegane Desu: It's not a big enough difference that you should use one or the other for such reasons. Go with whatever works best for you personally.
[11:56] Nebadon Izumi: Penny its not bad
[11:56] Nebadon Izumi: its non existant
[11:56] Nebadon Izumi: there is no GC right now
[11:56] Penny Lane: Haha
[11:56] Nebadon Izumi: no compacting GC
[11:56] Nebadon Izumi: it will use all your ram and just die
[11:56] Richardus Raymaker: omg
[11:57] Michael Skelito: GC in windows?
[11:57] Nebadon Izumi: yes
[11:57] Nebadon Izumi: .net is fully compacting GC
[11:57] Nebadon Izumi: its very performing too
[11:57] Nebadon Izumi: very fast
[11:57] Michael Skelito: tell that to the mono guys :)
[11:57] OtakuMegane Desu: So if proper GC gets implemented, that'll probably lift the avatar limits a good bit I'd assume?
[11:57] Andrew Hellershanks: Nebadon, I have avi creation working from a website.
[11:57] Nebadon Izumi: its stubbed out in current mono
[11:57] Nebadon Izumi: but its mostly still just stubs
[11:58] Penny Lane: Well that explains why Radegast eventually sucks all machine memory on Linux too then. And libomv bots must as well.
[11:58] Nebadon Izumi: hopefully by mono 3.0 it will perform more like .net does now
[11:58] Richardus Raymaker: mono 3.0 thats 2011 i think
[11:58] Nebadon Izumi: hehe
[11:58] Nebadon Izumi: ya it wont be this week
[11:58] Nebadon Izumi: lol
[11:58] Richardus Raymaker: grin
[11:58] Michael Skelito: so opensims hands are tied
[11:58] Nebadon Izumi: at this time yes
[11:59] Nebadon Izumi: it wont be until 2011
[11:59] Nebadon Izumi: mono 2.8 is slated this year
[11:59] Nebadon Izumi: it just wont be fully optimized until 3.0 likely
[11:59] Nebadon Izumi: maybe not even then
[11:59] Michael Skelito: do you see 100 stable avies on a sim?
[11:59] Richardus Raymaker: wel , no better software the opensim to test the CG.
[11:59] Nebadon Izumi: ya
[11:59] OtakuMegane Desu: Fully optimized, probably not. That's a long process for anything
[11:59] Nebadon Izumi: i think 100 will be the wall though
[11:59] Nebadon Izumi: for a long time
[11:59] Hiro Protagonist: easily
[11:59] Hiro Protagonist: that is far
[11:59] Hiro Protagonist: *isnt
[12:00] Nebadon Izumi: i dont see much beyond 100 on 1 physical box
[12:00] muuu gnuhurd: hola hi
[12:00] Justin Clark-Casey: alright, I'm going - see you folks later
[12:00] Michael Skelito: hi
[12:00] Nebadon Izumi: ok Justin
[12:00] Nebadon Izumi: thanks for coming man
[12:00] Richardus Raymaker: Bye justin
[12:00] Michael Skelito: bye Justin
[12:00] Nebadon Izumi: talk soon
[12:00] WhiteStar Magic: Take Care Justin
[12:00] Penny Lane: Cyu JCC
[12:00] Nebadon Izumi: btw justin when you have some time
[12:00] Nebadon Izumi: id like to talk to you about a OAR feature
[12:00] Nebadon Izumi: a OpenSim.ini setting
[12:00] OtakuMegane Desu: I think that if you don't run out of memory, opensim itself is actually the next limiter. Or some component of it.
[12:00] Nebadon Izumi: to allow the default OAR folder
[12:01] Richardus Raymaker: oh thats a nice function nebadon, that could be very good for my backup.
[12:01] Justin Clark-Casey: nebadon: to be different than bin/ ?
[12:01] WhiteStar Magic: Good Idea nebadon
[12:01] Nebadon Izumi: yes
[12:01] Andrew Hellershanks: 0.6.9 doesn't seem to be leaking memory like the 0.6.6 (and 0.6.8?) before it.
[12:01] Justin Clark-Casey: ok, I shall add to the list - I hope to do some stuff on Friday (busy during the week atm)
[12:01] WhiteStar Magic: yeah... allow us to set a default path to wherever we want them
[12:01] Nebadon Izumi: great, thanks man
[12:01] Nebadon Izumi: anything you need let me know
[12:01] Nebadon Izumi: talk soon
[12:01] Justin Clark-Casey: will do
[12:01] Richardus Raymaker: take care justin

Personal tools
About This Wiki